For Immediate Release
May 15, 2017
Rockdale County Recycling Center Offers Glass Recycling for Residents
CONYERS, Ga. – As a way to inform the public and continue to further the efforts of a cleaner and greener community, the Rockdale Recycling Center at 1200 Sigman Road, Conyers announces it is a glass recycling drop-off point.
The Recycling center accepts glass jars, bottles and other containers that are clear, brown or green. Glass should be empty, rinsed clean and free of lids. Residents seeking to recycle their glass products can visit the Recycling Center and drop off glass containers in the bins labeled for the corresponding colors. Partner agency LB Recycling transports glass collected at the Rockdale County Recycling Center to Strategic Materials Recycling Earths Resource Company in College Park, GA where the glass is broken down and recycled.
There are several benefits glass recycling has on the environment and manufacturing. These benefits include:
- More than a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled
- Reduced carbon and greenhouse gas emissions
- Less energy and lower temperatures are required to melt crushed, recycled glass than for raw materials
- Energy costs drops about 2-3 percent for every 10 percent of crushed, recycled glass used in the manufacturing process
- Glass is non-porous, impermeable and has almost zero rate of chemical interactions
- One ton of carbon dioxide is reduced for every six tons of recycled container glass used in the manufacturing process
- Saves water consumption required for glass manufacturing
Glass and other recyclables can be dropped off at the Rockdale Recycling Center during regular business hours, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and on Thursday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. The Center is closed on Sunday, Monday and County Holidays. For more information about glass recycling, call the Recycling Center at 770-785-6883.