Dog and cat sterilization license plates are now available at your local tag office. The purchase of the special license plate is voluntary and $24 of each tag sale goes to the program. All donations to the Dog and Cat Sterilization Fund (DCSF) are completely tax-deductible.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Program:
- How Can I Support the Program?
1. Buy a Dog & Cat Sterilization License Plate
2. Make a tax-deductible contribution to the fund
3. Ask your employer to match your contribution
4. Help educate others about sterilization and the dog and cat license plate program
5. Honor/remember someone with a contribution
- How Do I Get a Dog & Cat Sterilization License Plate Now?
As with other specialty license plates, the Dog and Cat Sterilization License Plate is available at your local tag office in Georgia. Plates can be purchased for an extra $25 at any time, regardless of birthday.
- Why Does Georgia Need a Dog & Cat Sterilization Program?
Dog and cat overpopulation is a tragic problem in all areas of Georgia. Each year thousands of healthy, friendly dog and cats are euthanized in Georgia’s animal shelters because people have allowed them to stray and breed. There are not enough homes for them all. Sterilization (spaying & neutering) is the solution to dog and cat overpopulation. It reduces: Number of stray dogs and cats; dogs and cats housed and euthanized in shelters; city/county tax burden for animal control; destruction of property and livestock; health risk and bad behavior; car accidents; wildlife and habitat destruction; spread of disease like rabies; and injuries to people and other animals.
- Can I purchase a dog and cat sterilization license plate early?
Yes, by surrendering your current plate to your county tag office. The fee will be $25 for the license plate. Registration renewal fees and taxes will be due on or before the last day of the registered owners renewal period.
- I renew my plate by mail. How do I get a dog and cat sterilization license plate by mail?
Simply notify your county tag office in writing on your renewal form that you wish to purchase a dog and cat sterilization license plate and include an extra $25.
- Can I also order personalized vanity writing on my dog and cat sterilization license plate?
No, vanity writing is not available on any specialty license plates.
How Will the Dog and Cat Sterilization Program Work?
The Dog and Cat Sterilization Program will:
- Help pay participating veterinarians for dog and cat spay and neuter procedures
- Provide educational materials about the benefits of sterilization
- Promote the sale of dog and cat sterilization license plates.
Licensed and accredited veterinarians who choose to participate in the program will receive a subsidy payment from the Dog and Cat Sterilization Fund.
Purchasing the license plate is voluntary. It is an easy way to fund this important program and the great looking license plate will show others that you care about helping animals.
Georgia Department of Agriculture
Dog and Cat Sterilization Fund
P.O. Box 337043
Atlanta, GA 30334-7043
1-800-282-5852 or 404-656-3667
Humane Association of Georgia
Georgia Veterinary Medical Association