+1 (770) 278-7000

Frequently Asked Questions?

You can find answers to frequently asked questions about Code Enforcement below. If you have any additional questions that are not listed here, please contact our office at 770.278.7103.

How Do I Report A Code Enforcement Issue Or Violation?

There are five ways to report an issue: 

  1. Online via the Code Violation Submission Form
  2. Calling 770.278.7103
  3. Emailing Us (Code.ViolationsMailbox@RockdaleCountyGA.gov)
  4. In-Person
What Happens After I Report A Violation?

When a code violation is reported, Code Enforcement officers open a complaint and work toward resolving the violation through voluntary compliance, which includes education, inspection, and notices. Continued violations are followed by progressive enforcement. Each code has its own set of enforcement procedures; however, the process generally follows this sequence: 

  • Complaint received by Code Enforcement; 
  • Inspection of the property is conducted; 
  • Notice is left at residence or sent to violator allowing time for correction; 
  • Re-inspection is conducted; 
  • Citations issued if the violation is not corrected. 
I Filed A Report On A Property Last Week. Can You Tell Me If A Code Officer Has Been Out To The Property to Investigate?

According to O.C.G.A. § 50-18-70 (a) (4), you may submit an Open Records Request once the investigation is complete. You may start the process of submitting an Open Records Request by contacting our office at 770.278.7103.

Can I Find Out Who Filed A Complaint On My Property?

Complaints are recorded anonymously.

What Happens If I Have A Violation?

Once a violation has been observed, it is the intent of Code Enforcement to have the resident/property owner come into voluntary compliance. To accomplish this, the resident is typically given 7-10* days to take whatever action is requested to correct the problem. On the scheduled compliance date, a follow-up inspection is conducted. If the violation is still on the property, additional informal and formal steps may be used to gain compliance. For instance, an attempt to contact the responsible party may be made in person or via telephone and a Notice of Ordinance Violation may be left at the front door informing the resident to correct the violation(s). It is also possible that a civil court process may be initiated.

*Days given to comply may vary depending on violation, circumstance, and officer discretion.

What If The Property Is A Rental?

Depending on the nature of violation, Code Enforcement will typically try to gain voluntarily compliance from either the resident of the property or the property owner. In the event the resident does not voluntarily comply, the Code Enforcement officer will notify the owner of the property. A formal Notice of Violation may be issued to the property owner.

My Landlord Refuses To Make Repairs. What Should I Do?

If repairs need to be made at the residence you are renting, please contact your landlord first to request repairs. 

You may file a report with Code Enforcement here.  

Code Enforcement will only address any violations found on the property.  

If a violation is found, we will contact the landlord or property management notifying them of violation found on the property, giving them time to correct the violation.

We do encourage tenants to seek out local resources for additional information, such as: 

The Georgia Department of Community Affairs published Georgia Landlord-Tenant Handbook that can be found at: https://www.dca.ga.gov/sites/default/files/2-15-21_handbook_final_draft.pdf  

Please Note: 
Per the Georgia Department of Community Affairs, “While this publication may be helpful to both landlords and tenants, it is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This Handbook has information on Georgia landlord-tenant law as of the last revision date and may not be up to date on the law. Before relying on this Handbook, you should independently research and analyze the relevant law based on your specific problem, location, and facts. 

In Georgia, there is not a government agency that can intervene in a landlord-tenant dispute or force the landlord or tenant to behave a particular way.  

Landlords or tenants who cannot resolve a dispute need to use the courts, either directly or through a lawyer, to enforce their legal rights.“ 

Georgia Department of Community Affairs. (n.d.). Georgia Landlord-Tenant Handbook.    Retrieved June 29, 2023, from https://www.dca.ga.gov/sites/default/files/2-15-21_handbook_final_draft.pdf  

What Happens If The Property Does Not Come Into Compliance?

There are times when voluntary compliance is not achieved. When informal and formal efforts fail to get compliance, the Code Enforcement officer will initiate an appropriate progressive enforcement step. Depending on the violation, this might include issuing a criminal citation requiring the responsible party’s appearance in Municipal Court.

How Can I Get A Copy Of My Case?

According to O.C.G.A. § 50-18-70 (a) (4), you may submit an Open Records Request once the investigation is complete. You may start the process of submitting an Open Records Request by contacting our office at 770.278.7103.

My Neighbor’s Trees Are Blowing Leaves Into My Yard. It’s Causing An Inconvenience With Having To Clean Them Up. Can Code Enforcement Talk To My Neighbor? Can They Be Required To Cut The Tree?

We do not have code ordinances that regulate tree maintenance. We understand that recurring instances out of your control may be inconvenient. However, it is the responsibility of each property owner to maintain their yard. We suggest addressing this directly with your neighbor for resolution.

Can I Store An RV Or Boat On My Property?

Yes, with restrictions. In any residential district, the parking of a recreational vehicle must be in a garage, carport, or the back or side yards. Parking in the front yard is prohibited. You must ensure it has a current tag and registration. Any vehicle that is not properly registered and without current tags or is in inoperable condition is considered a junk vehicle.

How Many Garage Sales Can I Have A Year?

No more than 4 garage sales are allowed per year per tract of land, and each garage sale shall exceed no more than three consecutive days. Additionally, garage sales are only for the sale of used personal items and/or goods that are the property of the person(s) holding the sale and not merchandise purchased for the purpose of resale.

Can I Run A Business From My House?

Certain businesses are eligible for a Home-Based Occupational License. To find out all guidelines for Home Based Business please contact our Business License Division

I Am Looking To Install A Fence On My Property. What Are The Requirements?

Type of fencing and height depends on the zoning of the property. The following regulations apply to all fences, landscape walls (including retaining and screening walls) and hedges in all zoning districts.

General Guidelines:

1. Allowable materials include: 

– treated solid wood (including painted, varnished, pressure-treated and composite wood)
– ornamental metal (including wrought-iron, steel and aluminum),
– vinyl boards, and masonry (including brick, architectural concrete block, and stone). 

Prohibited materials in all zoning districts include:

– tires,
– scrap and sheet metal,
– plastic and fiberglass,
– medium-density fiberboard and plywood,
– exposed common concrete block
– junk or other discarded materials 

2. No opaque fence or landscape wall shall extend over 20 linear feet in length without a visual articulation, such as a column, setback or planting. 

3. The height of a fence, landscape wall or hedge shall be measured from the normal finish grade to the highest point of said structure. 

4. Fences, landscape walls and hedges shall be set back a minimum of three feet from any public right-of-way. On corner lots, adequate sight distance shall be provided, as required by the Rockdale County Department of Transportation. 

5. All fences, landscape walls and hedges shall be maintained in good condition. 

Additional information pertaining specifically to residential or commercial fences can be found in Rockdale County Ordinances under Ordinance 214-6.

Do I Need A Permit?

It is always advisable to contact our Planning & Development office at 770-278-7100 to ask if permits are required prior to starting any project. 

Permits are required for most minor repairs and remodel work including garage conversions, replacement of windows, siding, trim, roofing, etc. Permits are also required for: 

  • New Home Submittals 
  • Addition/Remodels 
  • Secondary Structure 
  • Retaining Wall/Fence 
  • Plumbing/Mechanical/Electrical Permits 
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas
    …. and more
How Can I Get A Copy Of Rockdale County Ordinances?

All Rockdale County Ordinances can be found here.

Planning & Development

1117 West Avenue SW, Conyers, GA 30012 

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Telephone: (770) 278-7100

Office Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Code Enforcement:

Rockdale County Code Enforcement
2570 Old Covington Highway
Conyers, GA  30012 (map)
Phone:  770-278-7103 



Report a Violation Report a Code Violation  

Business Licenses –Option 1
Residential Building Inspections & Permits –Option 2
Zoning –Option 3
Code Enforcement –Option 4 or 770-278-7103
Commercial Development/Building Permits –Option 5


Open Records Request
Business Licenses


Permit Inspections

Code Enforcement

Building Permits

Proposed Budget Information 2024
Transit Development Plan Survey
Envision Rockdale
Rockdale Economic Development
UGA Extension