ROCKDALE COUNTY PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
November 7, 202
More than 90% of the Dogs and Cats That Entered the Shelter Last Year Were Saved
ROCKDALE COUNTY, Ga. – Rockdale County Animal Services (RCAS) reached ‘No-Kill’ status in 2022, according to Best Friends Animal Society’s annual data report (https://bestfriends.org/no-kill-2025/animal-shelter-statistics). This means the shelter saved more than 90% of the dogs and cats that entered the shelter last year. The Board of Commissioners (BOC) recognized Animal Services at the November 7 BOC Meeting for this accomplishment.
“I am beyond excited and proud of my team for this accomplishment, Animal Services Division Manager CiJi Baker states. Thanks to my dedicated team, wonderful leadership, animal-loving advocates, rescue groups, citizens, and a supportive BOC. I cannot wait to see what else we can accomplish. The hard work is not over. We need the continued support to further improve and work toward maintaining this status.”
Highlights of programming and steps taken for the shelter to achieve its no-kill status:
- Creation and approval of the strategic plan for Animal Services in the Spring of 2021.
- Education about our animal ordinances.
- Public education on responsible pet ownership.
- Expansion of the animal shelter.
- Increase in Social Media presence, including a new website.
- New adoption practices of pre-spay/neuter/microchipping of dogs and cats before leaving the shelter.
- Increase in staff training.
To learn more about Rockdale County Animal Services, visit www.RockdaleCountyAnimalServices.org.
- Our Vision- A future where our citizens and government work together so that every creature is compassionately cared for and has a safe place to call home.
- Our Mission- Rockdale County Animal Services division educates, enforces, and assists Rockdale County citizens and visitors with animal needs in a tactful, dignified, discreet, caring, and protective manner. As part of the mission of RCAS, the division will strive to become a “no-kill” agency.
- Our Values- Health of Animals, Quality of Life, Cooperative Accountability, Care / Cleanliness / Professionalism, Efficient use of tax dollars.
About Best Friends Animal Society
Best Friends Animal Society is a leading animal welfare organization working to end the euthanasia of dogs and cats in America’s shelters by 2025. Founded in 1984, Best Friends is a pioneer in the no-kill movement and has helped reduce the number of animals killed in shelters from an estimated 17 million per year to around 378,000. Best Friends runs lifesaving programs across the country, as well as the nation’s largest no-kill animal sanctuary. Working collaboratively with a network of more than 4,200 animal welfare and shelter partners and community members nationwide, Best Friends is working to Save Them All®. For more information, visit bestfriends.org.
*A 90 percent save rate is the nationally recognized benchmark to be considered “no-kill,” factoring that approximately 10 percent of pets who enter shelters have medical or behavioral circumstances that warrant humane euthanasia.