+1 (770) 278-7000


958 Milstead Ave NE,
Conyers, GA 30012


Mon–Fri, 8 am to 5 pm
Closed Weekends


Mon–Fri, 8 am to 5 pm
Closed Weekends

Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Division works in partnership with the citizens and businesses in unincorporated Rockdale County to promote and maintain a desirable quality of life for those living within, working within, or visiting our county.

We administer a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of County Ordinances and the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). Educating the public on the ordinances and how they can come into compliance are key factors within our division. Failure to comply will result in citations and court penalties which include up to a $1,000 fine per violation per day and/or up to 60 days in jail.

Contact Us

Office Hours:  Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2570 Old Covington Highway
Conyers, GA  30012 (map)
Phone:           770-278-7103
Fax:                770-278-8924
Email:  Code.ViolationsMailbox@rockdalecountyga.gov

Code Enforcement Directory

Main Number:

Code Enforcement Manager:
Douglas Chandler
Phone: 770-278-7110
Email: Douglas.Chandler@rockdalecountyga.gov

Administrative Coordinator:
Kimberly Shepherd
Phone: 770-278-7102
Email: Kimberly.shepherd@rockdalecountyga.gov

Code Enforcement Analyst:
Kevin McCartney
Phone: 770-278-7149
Email: Kevin.McCartney@rockdalecountyga.gov

Code Enforcement Project Coordinator:
Jessica Pollett
Phone: 770-278-7111

For any questions or concerns regarding the Magistrate Court of Rockdale County, please click here.


My neighbor’s grass is knee high.  Who should I call to report this problem?

Code Enforcement handles cases of high grass.  It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain, cause or permit the accumulation of litter or uncut grass or weeds on any parcel, tract or lot of real property under such circumstances that the litter or uncut grass or weeds are or may become a nuisance, health hazard, hiding place for snakes or vermin, or where such is unreasonably unsightly. It shall be the final responsibility of the property title holder to ensure that any parcel, tract or lot of real property located in the unincorporated area of the county is maintained in a manner protective of public safety, health and general welfare. (Sec. 78-13. Community Improvement Requirements; Weed and Litter Control)

How many pets can I own?

The number of household pets on a single lot shall be limited to five, not to include litters less than six months of age where the mother is also located on the property.

Can I have chickens?

The keeping and raising of chickens is allowed only within AR and WP zoning districts with specific guidelines and restrictions.  Chickens are not allowed within R1 (residential) zoning. Section 218-13 (oo) (Livestock quarters and enclosures) of the Unified Development Ordinance further explains guidelines for AR and WP zoned districts.

My neighbor’s car runs but does not have a tag and is stored in their backyard.  Are they allowed to do this?

No, this is not permissible. Any vehicle that is not properly tagged with current Rockdale County, Georgia tags or is in inoperable condition is considered a junk vehicle. It shall be unlawful for any person to park or cause to be parked any junk vehicle on public property or any private lot, tract or parcel of land or portion thereof, occupied or unoccupied, improved or unimproved, within the county. The presence of any junk vehicle on any property shall be deemed a public nuisance except as otherwise stated in this article. It shall be unlawful for any person to cause or maintain such a public nuisance by parking or maintaining a junk vehicle on the real property of another or on public property, or to permit or allow a junk vehicle to be parked or maintained on a person’s own property (see Article II – Junk Vehicles of the Unified Development Ordinance).

Can I run a business from my house?

Certain businesses are eligible for a Home Based Occupational License. To find out all guidelines for Home Based Business please contact our Business License Division.

How can I get a copy of Rockdale Ordinances?

All Rockdale County Ordinances can be found here.

Can I report an anonymous complaint?

Complaints can be recorded as anonymous. If a complainant chooses to remain anonymous Code Enforcement cannot call and update the complainant and no information can be given over the phone. An Open Records request can be filed for a copy of the full report once the case is closed.

How can I get a copy of my case?

Contact our Code Enforcement office to fill out an Open Records Request and a full report of your case can be issued once the case is closed.

I’m new to Rockdale County.  How do I set up County trash service?

Rockdale County does not have a county wide trash service. Each resident is responsible for procuring their own trash service. Failure to dispose of trash properly is a violation of Rockdale County Ordinances.

The right of way on my road is full of litter.  How can I get Code Enforcement to pick it up?

Litter on the county right-of-ways are removed by court ordered community service workers, which is organized by the Community Compliance Division. Call, fax or email them the roadway or area of concern.

State DOT organizes cleanup and mowing of all state maintained roadways.

There is a dead deer near my mailbox and I need to have it removed. Who do I contact?

Rockdale County Transportation will remove any deceased deer, dog, or cat within the right-of-ways of Rockdale County roadways. Call, fax, or email them the closest address or point of reference.

State DOT removes any deceased deer, cat or dog within the right-of-way of a state maintained roadway.

How many garage sales can I have a year?

No more than four garage sales are allowed per year per tract of land and each garage sale shall exceed no more than three consecutive days. Additionally, garage sales are only for the sale of used personal items and/or goods that are the property of the person(s) holding the sale and not merchandise purchased for the purpose of resale.

Further explanation can be found in Section 22-40 Garage Sales Exempted.

Can I park an RV in my driveway?

In any residential district the parking of a recreational vehicle must be in a garage, carport, or the back or side yards. Parking in the front yard is prohibited.

 I am looking to install a fence on my property. What are the requirements?

Type of fencing and height depends on the zoning of the property. Some basic guidelines are:

  • All zoning districts. The following regulations shall apply to all fences, landscape walls (including retaining and screening walls) and hedges in all zoning districts.
  1. Allowable materials. Allowable materials for fences and landscape walls include treated solid wood (including painted, varnished, pressure-treated and composite wood), ornamental metal (including wrought-iron, steel and aluminum), vinyl boards, and masonry (including brick, architectural concrete block and stone).
  2. Prohibited materials. Prohibited materials in all zoning districts include tires, scrap and sheet metal, plastic and fiberglass, medium-density fiberboard and plywood, exposed common concrete block and junk or other discarded materials.
  3. No opaque fence or landscape wall shall extend over 20 linear feet in length without a visual articulation, such as a column, setback or planting.
  4. The height of a fence, landscape wall or hedge shall be measured from the normal finish grade to the highest point of said structure.
  5. Fences, landscape walls and hedges shall be set back a minimum of three feet from any public right-of-way. On corner lots, adequate sight distance shall be provided, as required by the Rockdale County Department of Transportation.
  6. All fences, landscape walls and hedges shall be maintained in good condition.

Additional information pertaining specifically to residential or commercial fences can be found in Rockdale County Ordinances under 214-6 – Fences, Walls, and Hedges.

My neighbor has a tenant in their basement and we are in an R-1 zoned location.  Is this a violation?

R1 zoning is meant for single family use only. Renting out parts of a home for independent use is not allowed within residential districts.

Where do I apply for a sign permit?

Permit Information

Sign permits can be obtained at the Administrative and Services Building located at 958 Milstead Ave., Conyers, GA 30012.

For more information, please call 770-278-7100.

Planning & Development
958 Milstead Avenue
Conyers, GA 30012

Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Telephone: (770) 278-7100

Business Licenses –Option 1
Residential Building Inspections & Permits –Option 2
Zoning –Option 3
Code Enforcement –Option 4 or 770-278-7103
Commercial Development/Building Permits –Option 5

Business Licenses


Residential Building Inspections & Permits

Planning and Zoning

Code Enforcement

Commercial Development/Building Permits

Proposed Millage Rate
Transit Development Plan Survey
Envision Rockdale
Rockdale Economic Development
UGA Extension